The Elko “Hot Hole” is a camp site mentioned in many of the emigrant journals and diaries. CTHA, through a matching grant from Travel Nevada has completed fencing the site with an attractive fence which allows visitors to see this thermal feature but provides a safety barrier for children and others. Interpretive signs talking about the emigrants at this site have been installed to help share the history of the Elko “Hot Hole”.
“…we encamped on the river. One of our party bathing saw some hot springs on the other side of the river. Several of us crossed over and all the other boiling springs we have seen before are not to be compared to these. One of them is circular, 10 feet in diameter and five feet deep, boiling up as clear as possible.” –William Fowler Pritchard August 23, 1850.